[openrailwaymap] Station importance

Alexander Matheisen AlexanderMatheisen at ish.de
Sun Mar 29 22:11:40 MEST 2015

Hello everybody,

for rendering, it would be nice to have any information about the
importance of a station/halt. With this information, the renderer could
render captions in different zoom levels or font sizes or decide which
label is rendered in cases of collision.

Currently we have the tag railway:station_category=1-7 for mapping the
German railway station category [1]. But this is very german-specific,
so we should think about a way to tag the importance of a station using
generic rules that are independent from any country-specific categories.

Should we use the existing tag railway:station_category=* and translate
the German definitions, so that they can be applied internationally?
This would have the advantage that German stations, that are already
tagged with the existing tag, do not require any retagging. But using
just numeric values is not so

Or should we create a new tag a tag like railway:station_importance=*
with some category values such as local/regional/international/... and
leave the existing railway:station_category=* tag for mapping
country-specific categories?

Any ideas?

Regards
Alex