[openrailwaymap] Station importance

Alexander Matheisen AlexanderMatheisen at ish.de
Fri Mar 4 23:50:08 MET 2016

Hello,

Am Donnerstag, den 03.03.2016, 23:16 +0100 schrieb Michael Reichert:
> I would add two additional categories:
>
> * importance=low:
>   * Location and served areas: small stops where most trains (even
> local
> trains) do not stop apart form a few "alibi trains" [1] (usually in
> the
> early morning and/or late evening)
>   * Traffic: few regional trains stopping at every station
>   * Examples: Rosenberg (Baden), Rammingen (Württemberg), Unadingen
>

> * importance=sometimes
>   * Location and served areas: stops which are either only served by
> irregular running historic trains on preserved lines or only on
> special
> (large) events
>   * Traffic: only historic trains / anything between two trains per
> day
> and multiple per minute
>   * Examples: Gerstetten (?), Welzheim
>
> Best regards
>
> Michael
>

> [1] Usually two trains (one per direction) which only run to serve an
> obligation of service (national railway companies are sometimes force
> serve a line althought the do not really want it).

I think that we should not define too many categories for any special
type of station. I think that the difference between importance=low and
importance=local is too small to need a separate category.

The category importance=sometimes may be a good idea, but even here I
think that tagging those stations with importance=local provides enough
information for most purposes.

In my current draft at http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Rurseeka
tze/Station_Importance_Draft, I just extended the definition of
important=local with the aspects of importance=sometimes.

Regards
Alex