[openrailwaymap] Extract kilometration from map?

Alexander Matheisen AlexanderMatheisen at ish.de
Sat Mar 8 12:34:24 MET 2014

Hello Wolfgang,

> for the purpose of calculating average speed on streetcar routes by
> section, I need to extract the kilometration of the lines, including
> stops of course.
>
> What I do not mean is to take a tool à la Google Earth's "path" tool
> and re-trace the routes myself, since the vector paths are *already* in
> the map.
>
> Is there any way to do this?

in a first step you could take a planet file and filter out only the
objects you need. Then you could import the filtered data into a
database, e.g. with osm2pgsql. With a PostGIS database you are able to
do many different geographic queries such as getting all nodes that are
part of a way or calculating way lengths.

Regards
Alex