[openrailwaymap] Extract kilometration from map?

Alexander Matheisen AlexanderMatheisen at ish.de
Thu Mar 13 23:28:04 MET 2014

On So, 2014-03-09 at 17:42 +0100, Wolfgang Keller wrote:
> > in a first step you could take a planet file and filter out only the
> > objects you need. Then you could import the filtered data into a
> > database, e.g. with osm2pgsql. With a PostGIS database you are able to
> > do many different geographic queries such as getting all nodes that
> > are part of a way or calculating way lengths.
>
> Thanks for that. In that case I'll stick with the "path" tool in Google
> Earth though.
>
> I had just hoped that someone would have actually thought of
> implementing a user interface for extracting information from
> Openrailwaymap. But, well, "web application" and "user interface",
> those two things just don't seem to fit.

the website is still in an early development stage, so there are a lot
of features that are planned, but not realized so far.

But as well as OpenStreetMap, the main focus of the project is to
collect free data, not to develop every possible application for free.
And as well as the osm.org website, openrailwaymap.org is just a kind of
showcase to present possible usecases of the collected data to attract
other developers.

We spending our freetime for this project and get not enough donations
to pay the server rents without using our own money. And we have not
enough time to implement all user wishes. If someone wants a special
feature, he could either develop an own application, or he contributes
to the project by coding or donations.

Sorry for these words, but it is not really motivating when users just
send feature wishes, but do not support us to realize them...

Regards
Alex