[openrailwaymap] OpenRailwayMap on Twitter

Alexander Matheisen AlexanderMatheisen at ish.de
Sat May 3 23:38:53 MEST 2014

Hi Michael,

> Am 02.05.2014 19:54, schrieb Alexander Matheisen:
> > OpenRailwayMap has now an official account on twitter:
> > https://twitter.com/openrailwaymap
> >
> > There you will get news about the latest features, railway mapping
> > and other related stuff.
>
> Now we have the possibility to make PR work. The Google Maps Twitter
> account often tweets nice places to be explored at Google Maps. We
> could do this, too. Just call a railway line or railway hub the
> "OpenRailwayPlace of the Month" (I have BestOfOSM in mind,
> http://bestofosm.org/). I would suggest as railway hubs
> - Karlsruhe (I did only very few there)
> - Stuttgart (not my place, Bigbug21's )
>
> I would suggest as well mapped railway lines
> - Köln–Neuss between Dormagen and Neuss (a railway line by you)
> - Karlsruhe–Mannheim-Friedrichsfeld between Karlsruhe Hbf and Graben-
>   Neudorf
> - Stuttgart–Heilbronn between km 37.1 and 43.6 (near Lauffen(Neckar),
>   mapped by cycling along)

that's what I want to do: showing well mapped places, interesting things
found while mapping and new features to attract and motivate mappers.

I have already a long list of well mapped locations, but I also need
some hints to unknown places.

> I have looked for nice places outside Germany but I have not found
> them (with OpenRailwayMap and a Overpass-Turbo request for
> railway:signal:main, railway:signal:distant and railway:signal:combined).

OpenRailwayMap is still very focussed on the German-speaking countries
because most of the mappers come from these countries.

But I already had contact to mappers from UK, France and a very
enthusiastic mapper from USA.
To spread OpenRailwayMap over the world, translating the tagging scheme
and creatingJOSM presets for more countries are important steps.
Unfortunately, there was not much contribution since my call on this
mailinglist for translating the wikipage...

> Will you link the Twitter account at openrailwaymap.org?

I will add this to one of my countless todo lists... ;)

Regards
Alex