[openrailwaymap] Data validation with JOSM

Alexander Matheisen AlexanderMatheisen at ish.de
Tue Oct 7 20:20:07 MEST 2014

Hi everybody,

I have often seen various tagging mistakes while mapping railroads. Some
day I experienced that JOSM offers a possibility to extend the built-in
validator by MapCSS-like rules [1] and thought "hey, wouldn't it be
great to use this for a railroad-data-validator?".

Now I have started such a validation file for JOSM. [2] It includes a
first selection of a few typical tagging issues, but I still have a very
long list of more issues and will add them step by step.

Every railroad mapper may have experienced typcial tagging mistakes,
too. It would be nice if more mappers could add some rules. The easiest
way would be pull requests, but suggestions by email are also good.

Regards
Alex

[1] https://josm.openstreetmap.de/wiki/Help/Validator/MapCSSTagChecker
[2]