[openrailwaymap] Station importance

danmey at web.de danmey at web.de
Sat Apr 11 09:18:23 MEST 2015

this second mail is to think about other ways to determine the
importance of a station without any specific tag.
I have to say that I have no idea about how difficult it is to render a
map and define render rules. So throw eggs if these ideas are not really
thought through...

One way to define the importance of a station could be to have a look a
the route relations.
How many different route relations are conected with the stop_positions
of the station? Do these relations have a range of service tags (from
commuter to long_distance?)
Perhaps we could define a system to evaluate this.

A different way could be the number of platforms: more platforms means
higher importance.
Either with the platform*s*-Tag
(http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:platforms). But it is not in
really wide use. I don't use it, either.
But there could be a way to determine the number of platforms through
the stop_area relation.

Of course, you can show me a lot of examples where a station with few
route relations / platforms has higher importance than another station
with more of these.
But as far as I understand the question, the problem is a render problem
in cases of  collision. This happens with a small number of stations per
case. So, we don't need absolute importance of stations here, but a
relative ranking of these few stations.
And I suppose, in most of these cases, a non-perfect method like the 2 I
proposed, could work.

What do you think?
Greetings, Daniel