[openrailwaymap] Logo Drafts

Michael Reichert nakaner at gmx.net
Sat Aug 1 19:46:12 MEST 2015

Hi Marian,

thank you for your drafts.

Am 2015-08-01 um 18:58 schrieb Marian Sigler:
> I've tried to create an improved version based on your suggestion, see
> the attached file [1]. I've made the "rails" a little longer to make
> them more dominant [2]. I also added a white border around the signal
> because that is something that's part of a signal in quite a few
> countries, and it makes it a little less "German" :)

I like your signal modification but I created a draft which removes the
white Five from your draft.

> The fact that I chose the yellow pencil is rather random, the blue one
> is fine, too (I don't like the gray one however.)

I would prefer the blue pencil. But it is easy to switch the colours of
the pencil's faces. :-)

> I created this before you posted the columns 5 and 6; I do like the
> green-yellow thing [3] and the post colors of these suggestions, maybe
> one could merge that into my design; but I'd like to hear some comments
> first.

I have merged my signal into your design and created variants with the
blue pencil.
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:Openrailwaymap-logo-selection.svg
Column 7, row 2 is your draft.
Column 7, row 1 ist the same but with a blue pencil.
Column 8 is equal to 7 but without the white Five.
Column 9 uses the Swiss signal with yellow above green.

> Besides, I don't like the variant with the paper roll; in case this is
> some kind of vote :)

My current favourite is column 8, blue pencil.

> [1] Choose one of Public Domain/CC-0/Beerware.

I decided to use PD/CC-0 to make reuse as easy as possible even if I
leave the project. (And I cannot harm the project if I choose PD/CC-0
(ab)using the copyright.)

> [2] although I'm not sure if this black-white-dashed thing is something
> that is associated with trains everywhere, maybe it's just a German
> convention?

OSM Carto which is a British style uses a black-white-dashed line. The
alternative would be a black/dark gray line with small

> [3] I suggest putting yellow above green, to have one more detail where
> it differs from road traffic lights.

The current column-5/6-signal is a Swiss signal with an invalid light
order. If I switch green and yellow, I will get a valid signal. That's
why I wanted to avoid. But an invalid signal which looks Swiss may
disturb Swiss visitors/users/railway experts because it looks "wrong".
At the moment I do not know a country which has signals similar to yours.

Best regards

Michael