[openrailwaymap] Logo Drafts

Michael Reichert nakaner at gmx.net
Mon Jul 27 13:59:41 MEST 2015

Hi everybody,

over the last weeks I have worked on a couple of logo drafts for
OpenRailwayMap which has up to now no project logo. I have already
presented prior drafts to rurseekatze, Dakon and bigbug21 – now it is
time for your feedback. All drafts base on the feedback I recieved from
them.

I have uploaded my draft to OpenStreetMap wiki:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:Openrailwaymap-logo-selection.svg

Some additional comments to my drafts:
Prior drafts contained a German/Polish semaphore main signal. Because we
want not to look outdated, I decided to use a light signal. The current
light signal has lots of German elements but AFAIK such a signal is not
used on a German railway line (it may be used by a German subway
company). There are signals which look very similar to this in Kalsruhe
and around Mannheim on branch lines but these signals have their white
speed light signal above the green lamp. The white-red-white pole sign
can be found on lots of German main signals.

I do not want to have to much similarities to the OpenStreetMap logo.
First, nobody can guarantee that ORM will use OSM as the single data
source in future and, second, OSM logo is a trademark registred by OSMF.
You can still find elements at my drafts which can also be found at the
OSM logo – a folded map and some landuse and boundaries on the map.

I would like to hear your feedback about my drafts.

You can also create own drafts but please publish them under CC-0 or PD-
self as SVG.

Btw, I can distinguish red and green and therefore I would like to hear
feedback from men who cannot do this.

Best regards

Michael