[openrailwaymap] Rail movement joint/expansion device/Auszugvorrichtung

Martin Simon grenzdebil at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 17:13:05 MEST 2015

Hi all,

thanks for all replies!

to Michael Reichert: yes, this is exactly what I want to tag.

The ones that inspired the original email are for grooved rails and look
like this: https://goo.gl/photos/KtiFVMHAtfpLsLmF8
They are more massive because the water has to be collected and drained and
the movable parts have to be separated from the covering material (asphalt
concrete, paving stones, etc).

> (continuing on the first part of my mail which I already sent by accident)
>
> Additional there are two more joints without the possibility of expansion.
> We can define:
> • metallurgical welds
> • glued insulated joints
>
> These links provide the information and graphics from the book:
> http://puu.sh/iyZLs/9a7d6ab8e0.jpg
> http://puu.sh/iyZMR/e3b874c9bb.jpg
> http://puu.sh/iyYSE/c9742ad52a.jpg
>
> More information on the book can be found at http://esveld.com/MRT.html.
>
> Depending on what Michael needs, I advice him to choose expansion joint or
> expansion device (the difference is in the occurence of a glide plane). I
> think that "adjustment switch" is too specific for the British situation.

I think we should find a tagging solution to cover all of these cases.

The terms in Jeroen's book seem pretty clear and logical, so I'd like to
use these.

Doing so, we could start with:

railway=expansion_device (with a glide plane, e.g. my photo )

railway=expansion_joint (type of expansion joint should be subtagged, maybe
there are more than just fishplated expansion joints)

railway=insulation_joint (again with subtagging of type/method/material)

railway=bridge_transition_structure (well, we should discuss if this can be
a subtype of "expansion_device" and if the type of possible movement should
always be subtagged)

railway=joint (normal (fishplated) joint, I hope no one wants to tag those,
except for significant points (switch beginning and end, change in rail
profile, etc))

railway=weld, weld="type" (same remark as for normal joints)

What do you think?

-Martin