[openrailwaymap] [OpenRailwayMap] Proposal to render/tag catenary structures (#215)

JJJ Wegdam jwegdam at me.com
Sun Oct 18 16:01:05 MEST 2015

The Dutch public datasets (please consider attachment for more info) contain all catenary structures in the Netherlands. Since I found out that no catenary structures have yet been mapped anywhere in the country, I thought it would be a nice opportunity for an automated import.
Catenary poles (displayed as nodes in the datasets) can currently be tagged as power=catenary_mast. I'd like to propose an additional power=catenary_fixture tag to tag catenary portal-beams, stanchions and arms (displayed as lines in the datasets).
I'd appreciate to hear your opinion on this new tag. It would bring the import a step closer. Thank you in advance.

Jeroen Wegdam
Student-assistant at ProRail
(Dutch railway asset owner)

PS/update: currently, I am replacing all Dutch OSM railway ways with proper positions. Before importing the catenaries, I will first finish the railway geometry and platform wall imports. This will result in catenaries that fit seamlesssly to the railways. All imports are done manually (with great care for existing data).