[openrailwaymap] Why is usage=freight deprecated?

Alexander Matheisen AlexanderMatheisen at ish.de
Sun Jan 3 00:12:16 MET 2016

Hi Eduard,

we removed usage=freight because it did not fit into the other values
of usage=*. This tag classifies the type of a track, but freight
describes by which type of trains a track is used.

It also means redundancy with railway:traffic_mode=freight.

For example, we need a possibility to decide between the public network
and industrial railways inside steel mills or mining areas. If there
was just usage=freight for both ones, it would not be possible to
render them in a different style. So it is necessary to tag industrial
railways as usage=industrial to be able to distinguish them from the
public network.

For the public railway network, it is necessary to distinguish between
main lines and branch lines. That collides with usage=freight: If a
public line which is used just by freight trains (there are some cases
in Germany), it would not be possible to mark it as an main or branch
line. That is why there is the additional tag railway:traffic_mode=*.

I hope you were able to follow my example... ;)

Regards
Alex