[openrailwaymap] [Imports] Thoughts about importing a whole country's (NL) railway data

Alexander Matheisen AlexanderMatheisen at ish.de
Sun Mar 29 17:48:02 MEST 2015

Hi,

On Sa, 2015-03-28 at 13:36 +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!
>
> > I myself (one of the developers of OpenRailwayMap) am against importing
> > railway data. OpenStreetMap is not a 0-Euro data center for geodata. OSM
> > is a project where /people/ collect data and care for it.
> >
> > Because the Netherlands already have mapped railway lines, you have to
> > preserve the objects' history if you import railway data. This makes an
> > mechanical import is nearly impossible.
>
> So, instead of having good data in openstreetmap, we keep bad data, because
> they have "history"?
>
> We should aim to have best available data in openstreetmap.
>
> 								Pavel

what Michael means is that importing railway data is very difficult in a
country like the Netherlands, because there are already lots of mapped
railway details. Automatic or semi-automatic importing of data would
cause conflicts with existing data (duplicates, broken tagging, etc.).

To avoid such problems and ensure a high data quality, this data has to
be "imported" manually. Like Michael guessed, providing a WMS service
seems to be the best solution. Mappers could use this service as a
background layer in editors.

Regards
Alex