[openrailwaymap] Station importance

Michael Kümmling michael at kuemmling.eu
Mon Mar 14 17:31:23 MET 2016

Hello Marian,

> [...many ideas...]
>
> I'm thinking about a how to define a scheme that can cover all of this,
> but I want to go to bed now, so I'll do that tomorrow, but already send
> this mail to avoid people considering the discussion over ;)
As there are many different criteria, maybe a multicriteria scheme would
be helpful?

For instance having 3 criteria like
* tags specifying transport systems with regular stops or single stops
at this station (e.g. railway:station:long_distance = no|single|regular,
railway:station:local = no|single|regular and so on)
* tag for category considering number of travellers and station
equipment (similar to German "Bahnhofskategorie")
* tag for dominance specially considering main stations / central
stations and important interchanging nodes

Of course, this scheme does not solve linearization problem of station
importance for rendering. But it corresponds to real-world data. I guess
linearization/ordering of stations for rendering could be done by the
renderer itself using map styles? Later on, a map style could be changed
without changing the tagging.

Micha