[openrailwaymap] Life cycle tags vs. current state

Denis Stein stein at fzi.de
Fri Oct 7 14:47:58 MEST 2016

Dear all,

when checking several maps in Germany, I found an area containing
remnant after reconstruction (node [1] and adjacent ways; find attached
also a sketch in a PDF file) where the tagging is not yet ideal
(besides, e.g., railway:switch=default vs. 4 edges; upper right track is
not rendered on openstreetmap.org due to tagging), but I do not have
enough local and temporal knowledge.

I subsequently assume that the Bing aerial image shows the current state
with a probably removed diamond crossing with slips (einfache/doppelte
Kreuzungsweiche) and some rails nearby.

Probably, this is no problem for routing since tracks, which are tagged
as abandoned or disused, might be ignored.

Considering the use of the map for environment perception and
localization (for research purposes; using OSM where one can quickly
obtain a map from any space) the train can use neither the lower left
nor the upper right track without derailment, since there is no physical
connection any more. But, both ways are still connected to this centre
node. Infering non-existence of switches from missing switch-tags is not
a proper solution, since in most case there is a switch, but not yet a
corresponding tag.

For such special places I would prefer the lower tagging in my sketch
splitting both unusable ways in a shorter abandoned part and a disused
part taking also into account the past (using correct life cycle tags).

How would you tag this scenario (assuming time and attention to detail)?
What arguments are opposing my proposal?

I am looking forward to receiving your helpful comments. Many thanks in
advance!

Kind regards,

Denis.

[1] <https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/1238528586>

--
Dipl.-Inf. Denis Stein
Research Scientist

FZI Forschungszentrum Informatik
Haid-und-Neu-Str. 10–14
76131 Karlsruhe, Germany

Tel.: +49 721 9654-276

stein at fzi.de
www.fzi.de/mitarbeiter/stein

FZI Forschungszentrum Informatik am Karlsruher Institut für Technologie
Stiftung des bürgerlichen Rechts
Stiftung Az: 14-0563.1 Regierungspräsidium Karlsruhe
Vorstand: Prof. Dr. Andreas Oberweis, Prof. Dr. Ralf Reussner,
Jan Wiesenberger, Prof. Dr.-Ing. J. Marius Zöllner