[openrailwaymap] Suggestion for openrailwaymap.org rendering: Use maxspeed instead of layer

Alexander Matheisen AlexanderMatheisen at ish.de
Fri Feb 28 01:14:52 MET 2014

On So, 2014-02-23 at 19:13 +0100, Philipp Klaus Krause wrote:
> For the speed theme, I suggest to render faster lines on top of slow
> ones. I guess that the speed theme is used by people who want to find
> which and where the fast lines are. Currently, this doesn't work well:
> E.g. the Lötschbergbasistunnel at 250 km/h is not visible in many zoom
> levels, since the slower Lötschberg-Bergstrecke is visible instead (in
> some zoom levels, the number "250" from the Lötschbergbasistunnel is
> visible, but the color is the 80 km/h turquoise of the
> Lötschberg-Bergstrecke. The problem is also widespread in Austria.

as you can see in the stylesheet [1], the value of z-index is already
dependent on the maxspeed (except from some highspeed lines). So a line
with 80 km/h maxspeed should not be drawn on the top of a highspeed
line.

I do not know why the lines are still rendered in a different order.
Maybe the order of the MapCSS rules has an influence on the drawing
priority. I can try to invert their order.

It seems that this problem also occurs in JOSM.

[1]
https://github.com/rurseekatze/OpenRailwayMap/blob/master/styles/maxspeed.mapcss

Regards
Alex