[openrailwaymap] Render changes suggestion

Arlindo Pereira openstreetmap at arlindopereira.com
Wed Jun 25 15:33:02 MEST 2014

Hi there,

the current rendering is awesome, but I'd like to make some suggestions to
make it even better.

I'm currently very interested in mapping railways, but specially the
disused/abandoned/razed ones. OpenRailwayMap already does that in a
beautiful way.

My suggestions are:

1) Render differently disused/abandoned/razed *tram* tracks from regular
train tracks. I like the brown color (it remembers me a rusty rail :)). I
suggest a slightly thinner line.

I plan to digitalize all the tram lines that Rio de Janeiro used to have.
You may know from nowadays the tram line that goes over the Arcos da Lapa
aqueduct (this:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-z8aaLD7wg24/TkQ8cXLRSmI/AAAAAAAAAhQ/1aO3Bb6YFwU/s1600/100_1566.JPG
), (which shamefully is deactivated after a nasty accident in 2011), but
Rio used to have until the 1960s a network of 400+km of trams, and it would
be great to see them rendered. Anyway, I digress. :P

Example: This abandoned track running from Catete, Laranjeiras and Cosme
Velho neighborhoods:
http://www.openrailwaymap.org/?lang=en&lat=-22.934266680333835&lon=-43.18453073501587&zoom=15&style=standard

2) Render disused/abandoned/razed stations and halts. OpenStreetMap used to
render disused stations in the "good ol' days" of Mapnik, before migrating
to openstreetmap-carto (which is great! but unfortunately have this problem
regarding stations). Disused stations used to be render in the same size as
halts, but in gray. Nowadays they render normally on OSM which is very
confusing... and on ORM they are not rendered at all (AFAICS).

At least, the B&W background image used on ORM seems to be generated by the
old Mapnik, without using openstreetmap-carto, because the disused stations
are rendered as I remember they were in OSM back ago. Anyway, my suggestion
is to them be rendered like stations, but in brown (like
disused/abandoned/razed lines) and perhaps in a smaller font.

Example: all the stations north of those main passager lines, such as (west
to east): Francisco Sá, Praia Formosa, Barão de Mauá, Praia Formosa
(again), Villa Guarany, Praia Formosa, Marítima
http://www.openrailwaymap.org/?lang=en&lat=-22.904028215313716&lon=-43.20894956588745&zoom=15&style=standard

What's your opinion?

Cheers,
Arlindo