[openrailwaymap] Station importance

danmey at web.de danmey at web.de
Sat Apr 11 09:05:41 MEST 2015

Am 02.04.2015 um 04:50 schrieb Roland Hieber:
> I vote in favour for this idea to avoid a German viewpoint, and would like to
> rename railway:station_category to railway:station_category:de for this case.
> railway:station_category and railway:station_importance can thus be used in
> parallel. For railway:station_importance, I propose something like the following
> explanations (but I can only give examples for Germany, sorry):
I think, we should retag, too.
The problem now is, that the values combine with Deutsche Bahn category
system; but perhaps any other railway company has only categories from 1
to 6 or whatever.
Perhaphs something like category_range=1-7 would help (to set the
margins). If not, I would favour "railway:station_category:*de*". It is
a tag majorly in use in Germany, so the retagging discussion would not
be too big.

> *railway:station_importance=local*: ...
>
> *railway:station_importance=regional*:...
>
> *railway:station_importance=interregional*: ...
>
> *railway:station_importance=international*: The station is a big hub in the
> national railway system and serves long-distance connections to major national
> or even international cities. It usually also provides access to an
> international airport. (Bahnhofskategorie 2-1, examples: Frankfurt Hbf,
> Frankfurt Flughafen, Berlin Hbf, München Hbf, Hannover Hbf)
>   - Roland
I like this system with human-readdble values.
My problem is /*=international/.
I understand what you mean with the description. For people that read
wiki descriptions, it is quite clear.
But I fear, that many people that are not such fanatic railway mappers
will just read this one word in the tag value ("international") and tag
any station with any international service with
/railway:station_importance=international/.
Suddenly, Bad Bentheim (http://osm.org/go/0GYWO2k?m=) and Encarnacion in
Paraguay
(http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Estaci%C3%B3n_Encarnaci%C3%B3n,_vista_desde_la_calle.JPG,
there is something like international commuter service) will receive
this tag,  I am afraid.
So, we have to find a tag for stations with international service that
don't really have an international importance. or avoid the
"/international/"-value.
Greetings, Daniel