[openrailwaymap] Incompletely tagged signals about to disappear

Peter Reinhart pr-newsletter at web.de
Sun Jun 21 11:57:13 MEST 2015

> Am Samstag, 20. Juni 2015, 23:13:04 schrieb Peter Reinhart:
>> Dear fellow railway mappers,
>>
>> there is a current Github issue with the OpenRailwayMap that I believe
>> is quite worth to be debated. It is on the question if railway signals
>> should no longer be rendered when there is no direction tag attached to
>> them.
>
> It has been merged yesterday. There is now an additional validator check for
> this, so look at your signals and it will warn you about that.

That is little help to hundreds of perfectly tagged signals that (for
whatever reason) do not carry a direction tag (yet). It seems that
OpenRailwayMap just became the first OSM map that put up a mapper
"education" regime. Should the job of a renderer rather be to make the
best out of the data available?

If a mapper likes to, say, just map a signal type, position und
reference, that data is alredy useful to the map. In fact, that is
pretty much everything the OpenRailwayMap can display. Still, ORM won't
display those signals even though they are there. Open Data and Open
Source software largely rely on such people with very special interests.

As explained in the Github issue discussion, we have just raised the bar
for the railway signal mappers. Instead of being thankful for every
single bit of information -- in particular from those newbies who spend
hours to upload their first few bits -- we raise the bar for no obvious
reason.

We should focus on finding wrongly and incompletely tagged signals and
improve them, instead of this "mapper education" approach.

Best wishes from Dresden
Peter