[openrailwaymap] Tagging triple station track layouts

Christian Wendel mail at christianwendel.de
Mon May 4 23:25:22 MEST 2015

Hi Jeroen & contributors

I know some stations in Germany as well that are using Layout 1.

My opinion:
If the middle tracks only serve as a siding - means only few regular
trains use it, the outer tracks are preferred if available - I would tag
it as service=siding and usage=/as observed/. And vice versa.

Some Examples might help thinking about:

* Solingen main station:
     - Central track (Nr. 2) is siding, because mainly used for waiting
freight trains to be overtaken.
     - Same for track Nr. 8, which is a train stop with platform, but is
only used unregularly, for overtaking, in case of delays etc.
http://www.openrailwaymap.org/?lang=de&lat=51.16042799052598&lon=7.004537880420685&zoom=18&style=standard

* Köln Messe Deutz:
     - Central tracks largely used by long-distance trains not stopping
in this station, NO freight trains.
     --> I'd prefer usage=main, but have never mapped this.
http://www.openrailwaymap.org/?lang=de&lat=50.9407615337433&lon=6.976785063743591&zoom=17&style=standard

* Siegburg / Bonn:
     - Only High Speed Service
     - 2 Central tracks for passenger trains without stop (at least 200
km/h)
     - 2 Tracks right & left with platforms, only used for stopping there.
     --> usage=main for central tracks, usage=? for platform tracks
http://www.openrailwaymap.org/?lang=de&lat=50.79384089352182&lon=7.203474640846252&zoom=17&style=standard

Any other opinions are welcome.

regards
Christian