[openrailwaymap] Moving to new server

Alexander Matheisen AlexanderMatheisen at ish.de
Sat Feb 18 17:30:16 CET 2017

Hi everybody,

Am Donnerstag, den 16.02.2017, 22:37 +0100 schrieb Rolf Eike Beer:
> Am Montag, 2. Januar 2017, 09:29:29 schrieb Alexander Matheisen:
> >
> > Hi everybody,
> >
> > OpenRailwayMap is currently moving to a new server. So you have to
> > expect technical issues or temporarily downtime in the next days.
> > There
> > will be detailled information when the migration is finished.
> As you probably have noticed, the new server is serving tiles for a
> while. If
> you receive this mail, the mailing list is also working again.
> Hopefully Alex
> will eventually find time to write a more detailled status.

except from some internal admin stuff, the migration of OpenRailwayMap
to a new server was completed. The migration process took longer than
expected due to unexpected technical problems, but also private tasks.
The old server was shut down at 01.01.2017. Most stuff on the new
server was working since mid January again. The mailing list took a bit
longer to work and was finished just this week.

We are now using a different approach to update the database which
allows it to run updates more often than before. Previously many steps
were file based, now most steps are done inside the osm2pgsql database.
Currently there is still a daily update, but the update frequency will
be increased in the next time.

Config options and the way they are used in the import/update process
changed. Have a look at the current version of the config files and the
updated installation instructions: https://github.com/rurseekatze/OpenR
ailwayMap/blob/master/INSTALL.md.

With the server migration we updated to PostgreSQL 9.5. The install
instructions describe the steps for version 9.5, which should be
compatible to PostgreSQL >= 9.3.

Running tile server and API now uses systemd, but starting both
processes with screen is still possible.

Some days ago I created an OpenRailwayMap organization on Github: https
://github.com/openrailwaymap.

The first repository in this organization is https://github.com/OpenRai
lwayMap/server-admin/issues. This is meant for issues with the
openrailwaymap.org server instance.

The OpenRailwayMap and openrailwaymap-blog repositories will also
migrate to the orgainization soon. There will be more detailled
information here.

The new server is now accessible via IPv6, if you might have problems
please add an issue to the server-admin tracker.

Regards
Alex
Ein Dateianhang mit Bin�rdaten wurde abgetrennt...
Dateiname   : signature.asc
Dateityp    : application/pgp-signature
Dateigr��e  : 473 bytes
Beschreibung: This is a digitally signed message part
URL         : <http://lists.openrailwaymap.org/pipermail/openrailwaymap/attachments/20170218/0429b910/attachment.sig>