[openrailwaymap] Rail movement joint/expansion device/Auszugvorrichtung

Michael Kümmling michael at kuemmling.eu
Mon Jun 22 23:42:40 MEST 2015

Hello,

Translation of railway terms is difficult, as wording differs almost
completely between British English and American English. Furthermore, I
made the experience, that European standard documents (EN, UIC leaflets,
EU legislation, ...) are a bad source, as they often use unusual language.

I found "adjustment switch" for British English (Iain Ellis: Ellis'
British Railway Engineering Encyclopaedia; Railway Group Standard
GC/RC5603 Standard Definitions of Civil Engineering Terms) and
"expansion joint" for American English (TCRP Report 155: Track Design
Handbook for Light Rail Transit). But thats the only American source
I've found.

In British English, expansion joint denotes a normal rail joint with an
expansion gap between rails (same sources as above).

I guess, you have to choose some tag in the end...

Micha